STORY

 

脇本陣の粂屋

wakihonjin kumeya

粂屋は、脇本陣の旅籠(はたご)として江戸後期に建てられた建築ですが、伝統と格式ある様式をよく残しています。

街道に面した脇本陣の主屋は、軒が低く、大きな瓦屋根が印象的です。その軒下の一方には、切妻破風のひさしと式台のついた格式の高い玄関が通りに出ています。もう一方は、通りから少し引っ込んで、招き屋根の庵看板のある玄関です。

Kumeya is in Komoro City, Nagano Prefecture. The city -- in highlands, blessed with rich nature --functioned as a post town on the Hokkoku Kaido Road during the Edo Era (1603-1868) and accommodated processions of daimyo, or feudal lords, on their sankin koutai, or alternate attendance travels from their home domains to Edo – today’s Tokyo. 

The original building of Kumeya was established in the late of Edo Era as wakihonjin, the second highest ranking accommodation after honjin, for the daimyo processions that rested in town. Still now, the building demonstrates the architectural style of those days.

切妻破風のひさし(写真奥)と招き屋根の庵看板・くめや重右衛門

​写真1 切妻破風のひさし(写真奥)と招き屋根の庵看板・くめや重右衛門

さらに通りに沿って、大きく開かれた引き戸や出梁の上に手摺りのある二階窓が低い軒下に連なってあり、夕暮れに部屋の明かりが灯ると古い旅籠の風情を感じさせます。

粂屋には、通りからの出入り口が三か所あります。ひとつは式台の玄関からは畳敷の廊下へ、奥の一段高い続き間に入ります。次の玄関からは土間へ入り、板敷の廊下があります。さらに広い土間には大きく開いた引き戸から入るようになり、地位により使う玄関も入る部屋も違ったことがわかります。

The main building facing the Hokkoku Kaido Road is characterized by low eaves with a broad tiled roof. There are three different entrances in accordance with status of the guest. The entrance on the left side with a gabled roof and a step was for the highest ranking guests. Other guests used the entrance in the middle with a sloping roof and a signboard, or the wide one on the right-hand side. Each entrance also led into different rooms for different ranks.

​写真2 低い軒の大きな瓦屋根と夕暮れに明かりが灯る連窓

​写真3 主屋の裏に中庭。奥の離れ屋へは中庭を眺める廊下で。

主屋の奥には中庭があります。中庭を回り込むように畳廊下を通ると、離れの奥の間になります。奥の間は書院造りで格式の高い部屋になっています。床の間や違い棚があり、とくに書院の欄間にある「竹林の七賢」の木彫がみごとです。 

Behind the main building, there is a courtyard surrounded by corridors covered with tatami mats. The corridors go into an annex which has rooms of the highest rank in the shoin-zukuri style. This style is characterized with a tokonoma alcove and staggered shelves on the wall, and is known as the basis of today’s traditional Japanese rooms. There is a wonderful transom exhibiting a Seven Sages of the Bamboo Grove carving in one of the rooms.

--At dusk, when interior orange lights are lit, the whole of Kumeya is enveloped in an atmosphere of traditional inns of the past.

 

北国街道 小諸宿

Komoro Post Town on Hokkoku Kaido Road 

北国街道は、江戸へつながる中山道の追分宿からわかれ、日本海に面した越後の高田宿をつなぐ約百四十キロメートルにおよぶ街道です。この街道は越後から塩や米を運ぶ道として、また、信州・善光寺への信仰の道としても知られていました。江戸初期には佐渡金山から金銀が産出され、これを江戸に運ぶ重要な道となりました。

 

Hokkoku Kaido Road, totaling a length of about 140km, branched off from Nakasendo Road at Oiwake Post Town and led onto Takada Post Town in Echigo (a part of Niigata Prefecture today). Hokkoku Kaido Road was known as a transportation route for salt and rice from Echigo as well as a pilgrimage route to Zenkoji Temple. When the mining of gold and silver started at Sado in Echigo in the early Edo Period, the road became even more important to transport these staples to Edo.

​写真5 加賀藩大名行列図屏風(部分)石川県立歴史博物館所蔵

さらに参勤交代が制度化され、加賀藩や高田藩など北陸諸藩だけでなく日本海沿岸諸藩の大名がこの北国街道を往来することとなりました。

 

とくに加賀百万石の大名行列は、総勢五千人の規模となる時代もあり、大いに賑わう街道となりました。ここ脇本陣の粂屋にも、江戸末期加賀藩が宿としていたことを記録した家臣の氏名が記された宿札が残っていました。

After the systematization of sankin koutai, or alternate attendance, by the Tokugawa Shogunate, the Hokkoku Kaido Road came to flourish with the comings and goings of the processions of daimyo, or feudal lords. These processions came from domains around the Sea of Japan such as Kaga (Ishikawa Prefecture and part of Toyama Prefecture today) and Takada (a part of Niigata Prefecture today). The numbers were often huge - the processions of Kaga sometimes numbered 5,000 people in all. Remaining wooden guest name plates in Kumeya actually show several names of retainers for the Kaga daimyo.

​写真6 江戸末期の宿札が脇本陣の粂屋に

街道の宿場には、格式のある宿として本陣や脇本陣が置かれ、武士や公家など、地位の高い人々が利用していました。とくに本陣は、大名や皇族などの特別な地位の人々だけに宿泊が許されました。一方、脇本陣は大名の家臣、武士や公家、役人が宿泊しましたが、町人の宿泊も許されていました。粂屋はその脇本陣のひとつです。

 

At post towns on the roads, honjin and wakihonjin were constructed for accommodating people with high social ranks such as samurai and courtiers. Honjin, the highest ranking inn, were exclusively for daimyo and the imperial family, while wakihonjin were for samurai, court nobles, other officers, and ordinary citizens when available. Kumeya was one of those wakihonjin.

​写真7 北国街道・小諸宿にある脇本陣の粂屋。写真奥に本陣が。

北国街道・小諸宿には、歴史的な町並みがよく残された地区があります。粂屋のある市町には重要文化財でもある小諸宿本陣問屋場の建物も残っています。

Around Kumeya, you can enjoy visiting the sites of the former Komoro Post Town including relocated and rebuilt honjin and tonyaba where logistic work such as the management of transportation and luggage was carried out.

​写真8 旧小諸本陣(問屋場)重要文化財

 

小諸城と城下町

Komoro Castle and Castle Town

小諸城は、懐古園として知る人も多く、日本さくら名所百選でもある名勝です。「懐古園」の扁額のある三の門(重要文化財)だけでなく、四百年前に築かれた大手門(重要文化財)や野面石積みの石垣が残り、日本百名城でもあります。また、小諸城は日本で唯一の「穴城」です。北国街道の宿場町より低い位置に小諸城の大手門があるなど、特徴のある戦国時代の城です。

Komoro Castle has been selected as one of Japan’s Top 100 Castles. It is said to be the only anajiro (where a castle is located geographically below its town) in Japan. Both the castle’s 400-year-old otemon, the main gate, and sannomon, the third gate, are designated as important national cultural properties, and the original nozurazumi stone walls provide a nostalgic atmosphere.

 

At the beginning of the Meiji Era (1868~1912), the castle compound was converted to a park, known as Kaikoen Park. This scenic park has been designated as one of Japan's Top 100 Cherry Blossom Spots and has many touriststhroughout spring and autumn.

​写真9 小諸城址・懐古園の三の門(重要文化財)

江戸時代初期、街道や宿場とあわせて城下町も整えられました。小諸でも城を回り込むように北国街道と小諸宿があり、さらに外側を囲むように社寺仏閣があります。小諸城の城下町は、北国街道をはじめ古い道や町割りが江戸時代のままによく残っています。とくに小諸宿の本町には、江戸時代の町並みも残されています。

 

Komoro Castle and Castle Town were established in the early Edo Era together with the development of the Hokkoku Kaido Road.

Like other castle towns in Japan, Hokkoku Kaido Road and the post town were close to the castle, while temples were established further afield.

​小諸宿に残る江戸の町並み

​写真10 小諸宿に残る江戸の町並み

 

KUMEYA 

  • KUMEYA Instagram
  • KUMEYA facebook
  • KUMEYA twitter

脇本陣の宿・​粂

宿泊|貸室|カフェ

宿泊営業日 金曜日・土曜日・日曜日

定休日   火曜日

※月曜日・水曜日・木曜日のご宿泊は5名様以上のご予約で承ります。 5日前までにご予約ください。


茶屋くめや (カフェ)の営業日はこちら

貸室 (レンタルスペース)の営業日はこちら

TEL

0267-27-1482(受付時間 10:00〜16:00)

ADDRESS

〒384-0033 長野県小諸市市町1-2-24

Google Map >>

※メールの返信については3日以内にお返事いたします。 ご予約についてはオンライン予約よりお願いいたします。

MANAGEMENT

​〒384-0031

長野県小諸市大手1-6-16

小諸観光交流館

TEL : 0267-22-1234 FAX : 0267-46-9077

MAIL : info@komoro-tour.jp

施設内は禁煙です。貴重な文化財である木造建築を守るためにご理解ご協力をお願いいたします。

Copyright © KUMEYA. All Rights Reserved.